What works for someone with dementia can be fine one day and then be different another day. This isn't anyone's bodies fault and it's important to try to support someone with dementia as best you can.
Only help as much as you feel you can. If you begin to feel upset, don't worry if you want to leave the room. Try to help again when you are ready.
Some young people live with someone who has dementia, and may help to care for them.
This is a very difficult thing to do. If you are a young carer, visit the links page to find out where you can get information and support.
Find out more below:
- What is dementia?
- Which illnesses cause dementia?
- Who gets dementia?
- Will I get dementia?
- What happens to someone with dementia?
- Why do people with dementia change so much?
- Why do simple things become difficult for people with dementia?
- What does it feel like to have dementia?
- Can a person with dementia get better?
- What can I do?
- What if things go wrong?
- How can I cope with my feelings?
- Tell us what you think
This information was updated in November 2021 and is due for review in November 2023. Please contact us if you would like a version with references.