Nobody can say for sure what the changes for someone with will be, because everyone who has dementia is different.
Some people might forget things, like your name or birthday. They might have problems speaking to you or they might do strange things. Some people can't see things properly and might be scared or upset.
Not everyone gets the same problems, and they don’t get them all at the same time. Some people might change slowly over many months or years.
Below you can see some stories from different children who know somebody with dementia.
Find out more below:
- What is dementia?
- Which illnesses cause dementia?
- Who gets dementia?
- Will I get dementia?
- What happens to someone with dementia?
- Why do people with dementia change so much?
- Why do simple things become difficult for people with dementia?
- What does it feel like to have dementia?
- Can a person with dementia get better?
- What can I do?
- What if things go wrong?
- How can I cope with my feelings?
- Tell us what you think
This information was updated in November 2021 and is due for review in November 2023. Please contact us if you would like a version with references.