The Psychiatry Consortium will focus on identifying and validating novel drug targets for behavioural symptoms affecting people with mental health conditions and dementia.
The Psychiatry Consortium is a private-charity partnership between Alzheimer’s Research UK, Medicines Discovery Catapult and MQ: Transforming mental health. The major industry players engaged as founding members of the consortium include: Biogen, Boehringer Ingelheim, Johnson & Johnson Innovation Limited, Lundbeck, MSD and Takeda.
The aims of the Psychiatric Consortium are to:
- Engage the psychiatry academic community across the world by providing opportunities for funding, collaboration & access to industry and commercialisation know-how.
- Identify novel therapeutic targets and strategies to treat psychiatric diseases.
- Increase the number of new targets and screening assays, validated to industry standards, to support the discovery and development of new drugs.
The Psychiatry Consortium is supported by the Wellcome trust and the partners will provide £3 million in research funding over a period of three years.
The aim of the Psychiatry Consortium is to deliver up to 10 high-value drug discovery projects.
The consortium is focusing initially on early drug discovery projects to target psychiatric symptoms. The projects funded will focus on new biological targets emerging from:
- mechanism of actions studies.
- genetics hits.
- disease driven hypotheses.
For more information about the Consortium and the application process visit the Psychiatry Consortium website.
Next deadline: 22 November 2019. Apply here.
To view other funding opportunities through Alzheimer’s Research UK in drug discovery visit our website here.