Creating a strong environment so dementia research in the UK and worldwide can prosper.
By working to increase access to funding, enabling international research collaboration, and influencing policymakers, we are strengthening the environment for dementia research.
We also facilitate meaningful conversations and inspire action by building understanding of dementia and how it impacts our country. Understanding the cost of the condition, from the financial to the emotional, helps us communicate the urgent need for more research and support to bring about life-changing treatments.
Thanks to you, Alzheimer’s Research UK has a strong voice and we’re seeking opportunities to shape policy on medical research wherever possible.
Ongoing projects in this area include:
- Increasing the number of researchers working in the field and the number of people participating in research through Join Dementia Research.
- Creating opportunities for collaborative research through initiatives like the UK Dementia Research Institute.
- Supporting research into new therapies for dementia through the Dementia Discovery Fund, a unique venture fund that received a $50 million donation from Bill Gates in 2017.
- Harnessing the power of patient data through Project iASiS, a research project using a comprehensive database from studies across 10 organisations in five countries about how people with Alzheimer’s respond to their treatment.
- Growing awareness through our Dementia Statistics Hub and Dementia Hotspots Map, which breaks down the number of people living with dementia in each constituency.
Dementia impact by area
Is dementia research keeping pace?
Getting people involved in dementia research
Why patient data is important
How we work with industry
How Brexit impacts research